Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Team Motto

Does your department at work have a motto- either officially or unofficially? Ours does- "You have not because you ask not". Short, sweet, and full of truth. Very often the reason people don't have things is they simply don't ask for them. I tell people "The elves are on strike. They don't just come in at night and take care of everything." Some examples:

1. Someone came to me a while back and said "Did anyone tell you we're out of forks in the cafeteria?" (ordering plastic cutlery is one of my myriad areas of expertise). I said that no one had. She said "Unbelievable. People have been griping about it all week and no one came and told you we were out". Hehe. I of course ordered them, and they arrived posthaste.

2. Last week someone asked me "Can you please buy us some Gatorade?" (Our plant is not air conditioned, and it hit the 90s last week. We don't want our peeps to get heatstroke). I said sure. I got another call from someone else before I got to the store. Before the week was over a large supply had been obtained. As I was delivering it, someone told me he'd asked another person if we'd be getting any. The person told him to talk to me. I said "You have not because you ask not".

3. Friday I was out in the plant, someone asked me if we were going to get any Popsicles. (see reason in #2). I said "Since you asked, we will". I figure if people really want something, they'll let me know. If not, there's not need to waste my time and the company's money buying it.

I could give you more examples, but I think you get the point. This motto is applicable in many areas of life (those of you from a church background probably recognize the origin on the phrase). In most cases, the worst thing that will happen if you ask is that you'll be told no, and then you are no worse off than you already are. So instead of whining, ASK.

No comments:

Post a Comment