Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Expensive Lesson

Several weeks ago I noticed that my upstairs neighbor seemed to be home but her car was not, an anomalous situation in our car dependent part of the world. I finally saw her outside and asked her about it. From her expression I could tell there was a story. And quite a story it was.

It seems she got pulled over a couple of blocks from the apartment complex, for reasons she never made clear. During this stop, the officer noted that her tags had been expired for EIGHT months. It seems that when they're this far gone, you don't just get a ticket. You also get your car towed to the impound lot until you make the situation right.

She, of course, got to spend some time and serious cash getting all of this resolved. In addition to the expired tags, she had never transferred the title from the state in which she bought the car. Between doing that, paying her back tags, court costs, towing, & impound charges, she said the situation was going to cost her between $600-$700. An expensive lesson.

Someone asked me if she knew her tags were expired. I'm sure that she did. During this debacle, I noted that one of my coworkers had expired temporary tags on his car. I told him about it and relayed that story of my neighbor. He said he didn't know, thanked me, and said he would get right on it. I saw Friday that he is still driving on expired tags. Looks like someone else might be learning an expensive lesson soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment