Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Planning is a good thing

Friday I got a new computer at work. I'll be there 12 years next month, and this is my 3rd computer. Let's just say the process did not go as hoped. First, there were no printers installed. Oops. IT came back and fixed that. Next I noticed our HR software wasn't there. Oops again. It gets better though. The version of our HR software that we are running (MANY versions behind the current version) is not compatible with Windows 7. There is also a problem running Outlook 2007 when you have multiple e-mail addresses. I have close to 10 other accounts I check for resumes, meeting room reservations, etc. When you switch for 1 account to the next, it can take minutes for it to open. Not good. To work around the issues for the last two, they gave me virtual machine access to the latter two programs. I don't really know what that means, but it worked.

Come Monday, I found out that I couldn't print in the virtual machine mode. That simply won't do as I have to print items from those two programs. I ended up getting my old computer back. At least it can run all my programs without crazy work arounds.

What gets me in all this is most if not all of these issues should have been foreseen. Again, this is my 3rd computer. Somewhere there should be profile showing what printers, programs, etc. I have. This should have been referenced when my new unit was set up. That's the purpose of having this documentation. Planning is as natural as breathing to me. It's almost as useful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment