Total Pageviews

Monday, November 25, 2013

S/he Who Writes The Checks Makes The Rules

Part of my new job is working with our state's intensive service program for the unemployed. Everyone who's been unemployed for 4 weeks has to participate in this if they wish to continue receiving unemployment. Partially it's an early intervention to get people back to work ASAP. We the staff also think it's to make drawing unemployment less pleasant so people want to go back to work. The program is not that burdensome either. But it wouldn't matter if it was because since the state is paying the benefits, it sets the conditions under which it will pay. I had my first non complaint customer recently. I had told him previously that he must do "x" to receive benefits for the last two weeks. This is something everyone in the program must do, and it is a very easy, fast task. He didn't do it, so I told left him a message stating I was reporting him and did.  He called me back within half an hour saying he had never heard that not doing "x" would make him non complaint. It was over for him at that point. I have discretion not to report him if circumstances warrant. Not a chance. I cannot stand it when people lie. His benefits for the last two weeks are currently on hold per my coworker in unemployment services. Always keep in mind that s/he writes the checks makes the rules. You have a choice as to whether or not you comply, but that also serves as a determination of whether you continue to receive the funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment