Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Interview tip: Don't touch the recruiter

A public service announcement for all job seekers: to improve the chances of your interview going well, don't touch the recruiter.

By now you're probably wondering what led to this tip. First, some backstory about me. I am not the touchy feely type at all (that breeze you just felt was all my friends and family nodding strongly in agreement). Not once but twice this week, candidates violated my personal space. Yesterday we were interviewing an external candidate,and he touched my arm while answering a question. It was quite on purpose, not an accident brush. I quickly but as unobtrusively slid myself and my stuff down the table so I was out of range. After the candidate left, I mentioned this. My teammate didn't notice, but the other interview team member saw the whole thing.

Today we were getting ready to begin the interview of an internal candidate. Once everyone was in the room, he tried to hug me! I immediately put up my arms and said "I'm not a hugger". I barely know this person. Who does that? And he hadn't tried to hug anyone else on the team. Just me.

In summary: a handshake at the beginning and end of the interview is fine. Other than that, hands off the recruiter, especially if she's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment