Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

My feelings aren't hurt at all

All of the positions at my company have minimum qualifications. As the name implies, these are things that you must have to be considered. If you don't have them, we can't interview you, let alone hire you. Part of my job is to make sure candidates selected to interview do meet these requirements.

While I was off last week, a hiring manager gave her list of candidates to be interviewed to my coworker. When I got back, my coworker told me she thought one of them didn't possess the minimum qualifications, and thus she had held off on scheduling that person's interview. I reviewed the applicant's submission, and I concurred. To make sure I wasn't missing anything, I asked my boss for her thoughts. She agreed too. I e-mailed the hiring manager and told her that unfortunately we couldn't interview this person due to his lack of qualifications and I referenced the minimum requirements from the job description.

She responded and said she thought the person could be a good fit and that she really wanted to interview him. Right before I left work yesterday, my boss and I met with the HR director, aka my boss's boss. She affirmed our decision and asked me to e-mail the hiring manager again, and to restate why the person can't be interviewed.This morning I sent that e-mail. The hiring manager wrote back and said "(blogger) I disagree. All future discussions will be with (HR director)." Obviously this was rude, and it's also not proper to exclude me from the conversation since I am the recruiter working this job. But were my feelings hurt? Not a bit. In fact, I did a happy dance at my desk. I don't have to beat a dead horse anymore, and my HR director is handling it. Now, if I could only figure out how to reproduce this success with more people, my job would be all the more pleasant.


No comments:

Post a Comment