Total Pageviews

Monday, June 22, 2020

Graciousness matters

Showing graciousness can be difficult. It is so easy to disengage the link between our brain and our mouth and just let words fly. However, once the words leave our mouth, they can difficult if not impossible to recall. I was thinking today of 3 different recruiting examples that illustrate this point.

Candidate #1 recently withdraw from consideration over salary. I told him what we'd likely be able to offer him based on his education and experience. His response "I made twice that at my old job. I can't do that.". Fair enough. I wished him well in his search. A couple weeks later he called and said he's reconsidered. I have a feeling he found out what the job market actually looks like at the present time. The hiring manager allowed him to reenter the candidate pool.

Candidate #2 gave two weeks notice to leave for another position in April. He worked out his notice, and he created no issues before he left to my knowledge. A little over a month after he left, he contacted my coworker and said he wanted to come back. Due to leaving under good terms, he is eligible for rehire. He still has to apply and go through the entire process: interviewing, test, etc. But he is allowed to be considered for positions.

Candidate #3 had left and been rehired. He quit again last year with no notice for another job. He is not allowed to be hired for any position with our company since he left with no notice.

It takes time to think through what we want to say and respond thoughtfully versus react instantaneously. I would agree this investment in being gracious with our words can pay great dividends. I'll end with a quote from my dad "Don't let your mouth write checks your butt can't cash."

No comments:

Post a Comment