Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2011

From Mistakes Can Come Masterpieces

Today I decided to make some scones for lunch. I loved them when I visited London last year, so when I got home I actually cracked open a cookbook and learned how to make them (Thanks Mom and Dad for buying me the "Joy of Cooking" for Christmas in 2001!). It's actually pretty easy, and they are so yummy.

As I was putting the ingredients together, I found I didn't have enough cream. No problem, I used milk instead. However, once I combined the wet and dry ingredients, I knew something was wrong. When mixed together, they should be barely moist. This was more like cake batter. Oops. I looked, and sure enough I'd put in 1/4 cup too much liquid. I thought ok, I'll just add some more flour. Nope still goopy. I repeated this several times. I admit that throwing the whole thing in the trash crossed my mind. However, I'd thrown something else out a while back, and I was determined to have this at least make it to the oven. Finally, after several rounds of flour addition and remixing, the batter looked about right. I put it in the oven and set the timer.

I had my doubts about how it would turn out. I've substituted milk for some of the cream before, and sometimes the scones stick to the pan since there's not enough fat (skim milk has a touch less fat than cream does). Also, I wondered if there would be enough baking powder to make them rise, would they taste ok, etc.

Well, the timer went off. I opened the oven, and they were starting to turn a golden brown. I let them cool a bit, then sampled one. These are the best scones I've ever made! I don't know if it was the addition of craisins (first time I've tried that) or some weird food chemistry from the way I combined the ingredients, but they are AWESOME.  Here's a pic along with the homemade apricot jam I ate with them. Yes, I was very chef-y today.

I think these scones are a lot like life. Sometimes from what seems like (or actually are) big mistakes, masterpieces can be made. If we allow Him to, God can use all the circumstances in which we find ourselves, whether of our own making or not. The control freak in me would prefer not to have made an error in making this recipe, but I worked with it and was rewarded with something fantastic. I think there's a lesson in there for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment