Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 9th Birthday!

Last week was a momentous occasion- my car turned 9. The previous month was another milestone which I find even better- five years of no car payments! YEA!!! This is by far the longest I've ever owned a car. My previous 2 cars were short term leases. Once I got a real job and paid off my student loans, I bought my dream car. I still love it after all this time. However, what I love most is that it's PAID FOR. In addition to the great blessing of no car payments, driving an older car means lower insurance premiums as the car is worth less and my license plate renewal is much cheaper too for the same reason. All in all, it's just pretty sweet.

I was at a cookout this weekend, and the no car payment issue came up. My friend announced that she had just paid off her car. We all congratulated her. One of the guests said something I really liked about cars- "To get ahead, you've got to get the best deal you can, pay it off as fast as you can, and drive it as long as you can". I could not agree more. My friend's husband stated that his vehicle has 220,000 miles on it. My sister's car is approaching a quarter million miles. Two years ago it was giving her some trouble, and she was seriously considering getting a new one. Now it's running fine, and she's very happy she doesn't have a car payment. My mom's car is paid off, and she's planning to drive it several more years. The same year I bought my car, three of my coworkers also bought new vehicles. We are all still driving them. They are all still in great shape, and we are loving the life of no car payments.

This brings me to another point- maintenance counts. If you plan to drive your car until it dies, it helps to prolong the death as long as possible.   It's not rocket science, nor it is hugely expensive. Check the fluids levels regularly and change them when the time comes. Wash the bird poop and salt off your car promptly to maintain the finish. Clean out the interior of your car so it doesn't stink or look like a sty. Replace things like fuel filters and belts as your owner's manual recommends (you know, it's that book that came with your car). Yes, it costs a little bit in terms of time and money, but the payoff of no car payments is definitely worth it.

If you are a member of the no car payment club, congratulations! If you are working your way there, keep plugging away. It is indeed as great a place as you've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment