Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 17, 2012

This is a set up

I want you to put on your HR hat for a moment. What does it look like? Well, it's a crown as any HR practitioner would tell you. The specific design is up to you.

Why would you hire a candidate with the following characteristics?

1. Brings his girlfriend to the interview
2. One of his degrees is from a known diploma mill (per our background screening firm)
3. Called back to tell us the phone number on his resume is out of date

I'd also like to add, this guy is an HR person. And yes, we are hiring him. In normal circumstances, any one of these should be an enormous red flag. Taken together, the klaxons are blaring.

The answer came to me. The hiring manager (the company HR manager) WANTS this guy to fail. He didn't want to hire someone for this position.  He was made to by senior management. His go-to strategy is being passive aggressive. In fact, he recently told us that it's HR's job to be passive aggressive. It dawned on me (I'm claiming divine guidance) that the guy is being set up to fail so that the manager (my boss) can say "I told you so". The candidate starts tomorrow, and my boss has conveniently arranged to be out of town for 3 days. He's left us no instructions on what to tell the new guy when he's not undergoing company orientation. This should be fun. 

Sound like a set up to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment