Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2013

The food bandit strikes again

Here is a message that was recently sent out to everyone who works at my location (roughly 85 people):

Subject: Missing Food

It has been brought to my attention that there have been multiple, recent incidents where food has been stolen from Company refrigerators.  In several cases associates had written their names on the food containers, so the person(s) taking the food obviously knew that he/she was stealing someone else’s property.  In one case, the associate’s food box was returned with the chicken missing, but the green beans were still in the box.  In another case, what was a complete pizza was returned with only two pieces in the box.  We have even had one associate’s already partially eaten food nibbled on by someone else.  This is unacceptable behavior.  We should not have to remind associates that stealing is a “Category 1” offense and can result in discipline up to and including termination.  Supervisors are asked to announce to their teams that taking another person’s food is wrong, and one could be risking his/her employment by doing so.  Also, associates who place food containers in refrigerators are reminded to write their names on the containers so there will be no doubt as to whose food is in the container.

(Head of HR)

This is not a new thing. It seems like every 6 months we go through this. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1. Gross. This person is obviously not the germ phobe that I am. 
2. I'd be cranky if my chicken or pizza went missing. I was the one whose partially eaten food was nibbled on. That was several years ago, but I was grossed out AND mad.
3. I hate theft in any form. If you steal something small, you'll steal something big.
4. Multiple people tried to blame 3rd shift. Mighty convenient when they aren't there to defend themselves. Also, several people wanted to throw the cleaning people or the guards under the bus (both of contractors). I'm telling you, this is one of our employees.

My suggested solution? Install cameras in the break areas. The theft will either stop, or we'll ID and fire the thief. Of
course, my solution was far too practical and hasn't went anywhere yet. Hope you enjoyed this installment of "the food bandit".


No comments:

Post a Comment