Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Are you helping or hurting?

Suze Orman poses the following question to people who are or are thinking of assisting someone financially: "Are you helping or are you hurting?" I was reminded of the importance of this distinction by a story my coworker told me today.

Her husband's brother and the brother's girlfriend were arrested on drug charges yesterday. This came as no surprise to the family as they are both known addicts. My coworker also mentioned that the brother-in-law is 24 and has never worked. I asked how he bought the drugs. It seems he and the girlfriend live with his dad. The dad gives them money. They in turn use the money to buy drugs. They also sell/barter food from the house to support their habit.

When the cops searched the house, they found over 100 syringes, and of course no one had a valid medical reason for them. I'm not sure what other items of interest were located. One of the cops told my coworker's father-in-law "you aren't in any trouble, but you need to kick them out of your house." Yes, he does. Can you say "enabler" boys and girls? Yes, I know this is your child, but you aren't helping. You are allowing him to continue living a messed up lifestyle. It's time to cut him off. That will be helping him in the long run, though I'm sure it will hurt in the short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment