Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Almond cookies- and a lesson on paying attention

Friday we had a family dinner at my grandparents' house. I determined one of the things I wanted to bring was almond cookies. I had a recipe off a bag of almonds that looked tasty, so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Wednesday night I mixed up the dough. I did think it was odd that there was so little flour in the mixture, but they scooped up quite nicely. As they baked, they smelled divine. When the timer went off, I opened the oven to find a science experiment gone awry. The cookies had run all over the pan, down the oven rack, to the bottom of the oven. Good times. I went back and looked at the recipe more closely. I thought it said 3/4 cup of flour when it actually should have been 3 1/4 cups. Yep, that will do it. I threw out all the remaining batter, scraped the goo off  the pans, and let them and the oven cool. Next I had to wash the cookie sheets, scrape the oven racks, and clean the bottom of the oven. It was not how I had planned to spend my evening, let me assure you. 

After all this I whipped up another batch of dough using the correct amount of ingredients and put it in the fridge. I baked it the next day, and as you can see they turned out just fine. They were also quite tasty.





The morale of the story: I should have paid closer attention. First I should have read the recipe itself closer. Secondly, I should have followed my own instincts. I've made enough cookies that I thought the amount of flour was really small. I should have trusted my gut and double checked the ingredient list. Had I done one or both of these, I'd have saved myself some serious time, effort, and frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment