Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 17, 2014

How not to run your business

Customer satisfaction is a cornerstone of any good business. If your customers aren't happy, they won't come back, and they'll likely tell others about their unpleasant dealings with you. Based on a recent experience, I want to provide you with an example of how not to run your business.

Last month I decided it was probably finally done snowing, so it was time to wash my vehicles and get all the crud out from underneath them. This of course requires going to the car wash and purchasing the expensive package to get the undercarriage wash. Those of you familiar with my innate cheapness know this is painful to me, but I know it's a wise investment to prevent my car from rusting.

I went to the nearby car wash and paid my $9. Yes, it hurt. The first thing I noticed was that the undercarriage wash wasn't working. This was the entire reason I did this! Then, about halfway through the wash cycle, it stopped. I was not happy. I found the contact number posted at the car wash and call it as soon as I returned home. I left them a message explaining the situation and requested a refund. I would also have accepted a free wash if they'd have offered. I also called the phone number on the receipt several times. It just rang and rang. The next day I took both my cars to the other car wash in town. Not only was I able to clean my cars without issue, but this car wash is $1 cheaper.

I'll have you know that I never got a return call from the first car wash, and it's been nearly a month. I disputed the charge when my credit card statement arrived this month, and I've been credited for the full amount. Am I going to go back there and use their automatic car wash again? No. Am I going to recommend anyone else do so either? No. As one of my former coworkers used to say "If you're going to run your business, run your business."

No comments:

Post a Comment