Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

It's probably time to work on that

I recently had a bit of downtime at work, so I thought I'd actually read some of our employee handbook. As an HR person I thought it might be a good idea to have an idea of some of the things it said.

I hadn't read very far when I found something that wasn't right. I asked one of our long term staff members about it. What she told me blew my mind. The last time our company completely revised its handbook was 1998. Yes, you read that right. It seems there was another complete redo ready to go in 2011, but that was shelved due to an organization wide audit that was in process. Since then, internal memos are circulated that have changed the procedures, but the handbook itself, aka what is on our internal website and what is provided to our employees, is woefully outdated. A revision is on the to do list, but pressing day to day work must be done first.

I have to say I've never seen anything quite like this. The HR manager for my former long term employer would be aghast. We had multiple changes to our handbook every year. The situation at my current employer is certainly not optimal. It's probably time to dedicate someone to work on this exclusively until its done. Nearly 20 years between revisions is far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment