Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

There can be benefits of being sick

I recently got over what is probably the longest lasting illness I've ever had. Far from the most severe, it was still a far from pleasant experience. However, in the spirit of turning lemons into lemonade, I did notice a few good things that can come from being sick.

1. You don't spend any money (except for medicine & co-pays)

When a trip from the couch to the bathroom every few hours is at the absolute max of your physical abilities, your opportunities (and desire) for spending are severely reduced. I did break down and actually go to the doctor, but thanks to good insurance at this job and HSA money from 2 jobs ago, that was pretty financially painless.

2. You lose weight

I went over 24 hours without eating. In my family if you go off your feed for any significant time, something is seriously wrong, For a long time after that, I had very minimal appetite. Thank goodness for Clif bars. I pretty much lived on those for a while.

3. You appreciate health

Last week I was leaving a meeting room to get a candidate to bring into the interview room. On the way out, I twirled. I told the rest of the interview team I did it because I could. Dizziness had been my worst symptom during my incapacitation, and I truly appreciated being to move around in any way I chose without fearing I would topple to the ground at any time.



No comments:

Post a Comment