Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 8, 2017

A lawsuit waiting to happen

Friday my coworker was part of the interview team for an IT Manager position. One of the interview questions was a very good one-"Have you ever made a hiring mistake, and if so, what did you learn from it?". Here's what the candidate said:

"I hired an older guy (flag #1) who was (insert protected racial class here aka flag #2). He wasn't getting the job done, but management wouldn't do anything because they were scared he'd play the race card. I learned you need to hire younger people."

Wow. My coworker called it "the interview of the century". After the interview was over and the candidate had left the room, the hiring manager said "This guy will land us" and my coworker ended with "in court". A word on the interview team- all 3 people are over 40 (the threshold for age discrimination law) and my coworker is the same ethic group mentioned in the candidate's response. In addition to this gem of an interview response, the candidate used profanity throughout the interview. As you can imagine, we'll not be hiring him.

Bonus interview story from Friday: I was doing interviews for another position, and a candidate tried to hug me!

No comments:

Post a Comment