Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Floating is great for the pool but not as a life strategy

In July we were conducting interviews for an entry level professional position at one of our facilities. When I saw the candidate I'm about to describe, I was done. She was wearing shorts and sandals that were only 1 step up from flip-flops. This was definitely a predictor of things to come.

After the interview, one of the interview team said "That's a situation where you think should I rush through the interview or use it as a chance to practice your interview skills." Talking with her we learned that she was 27 (One of the interview questions for this position was "Tell us where you see yourself in 10 years." As part of her answer she said "Wow, I'll be 37.") In 27 years she had managed to:
- Get her associates degree 
- Work 3 years at entry level jobs

That's it. Oh yes, and she's not working now. She lives with her boyfriend and her dog (again, she volunteered this information), so I suppose he's supporting her. The hiring manager said "At 27 I had my engineering degree (bachelor's), was married with 2 kids, and was working 2 jobs." I myself at 27 had a bachelor's degree, had been working a professional job for 4 years and living fully self-funded on my own for 3 years.

I did feel sorry for her in one regard. The day the interview took place was one of the hottest days of the year. When I initially greeted her, I asked her how she was doing. She said not well since the a/c in her car had just died. The poor thing's face was red as a beet. When I was telling my brother the mechanic this story he said "It helps to have a job to pay to fix your a/c." He's not wrong.

When I got home from work I called my mom and left her a voicemail that said "I want to thank you and Dad for not letting us float through life." Of course, she had to call me to hear what prompted this appreciation on my behalf. She, of course, cracked up, and added "Maybe the dog will get a job".

Morale of the story: Floating is great for the pool. It is not, however, a great life strategy.


No comments:

Post a Comment