Total Pageviews

Friday, July 5, 2019

Cussers, Criers, and Hostage Takers

You may be wondering how the things in this title go together. They are all people I've interviewed in the last two weeks

Cussers
I've had not one but two people who used profanity during interviews during this time. We do strive for a relaxed atmosphere, but we aren't that relaxed. In both cases it was mentioned by the hiring team, and not in a positive manner. We currently have a 17 year old high school student working in our HR department for the summer. We mentioned to her about not using profanity in interviews. She said "I thought that was common sense." You would hope, but sadly it's not.

Criers
We had a candidate tear up when we asked a very innocuous interview question. I've never had that happen before. It was bizarre.

Hostage Takers
My coworker gets credit for this title. I'd asked her not too long ago how an interview went, and she told me she had been held hostage by a candidate who talked way too much. I also had two of those in two weeks. Let me share what one of our managers said quite some time ago said after he experienced a hostage taker: "When everyone in the room has put down their pens and pushed back from the table, it's time to stop talking." Oh how I wish everyone would follow this advice.

So, the take away from post? Don't cuss, cry, or take everyone hostage with your talking during your next interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment