Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another Three Bite the Dust

The candidates have been dropping like flies lately. This week we lost 3! The 1st was someone who was the backup candidate for a position in our CA office (the first choice candidate had been dropped previously). There were background screen issues, so his offer was withdrawn. We now have to reopen the search. My boss flies out in March to do the interviews.

Next, after our THIRD round of interviews for IT (the first round was last summer!), we had two highly favorable candidates. It was actually hard for the hiring manager to pick a first choice since they were both well qualified. He finally did, and the offer was extended. The way it works at my company is we call and give you a verbal offer. Often candidates verbally accept, but other times they wait for the written offer to be overnighted to them, which is reasonable. We then give them a deadline to accept in writing. If they don't, the offer expires. The candidate didn't verbally accept, but as I said, that's not unusual. That was last week. I realized Tuesday morning that we still hadn't heard anything. I found out later that day that the candidate took another job.

We then offered the job to the backup candidate. He verbally accepted immediately, which is pretty fast for a relocation (he currently lives 2 hours from here). He seemed gung ho, life was good, etc. What do I see when I come in on Thursday? A note from my boss telling me to prepare a revised position summary for recruiters to notify them that we are reopening the search. When I opened my e-mail, I saw a message stating the candidate had taken another job. Yep, back the drawing board. The 4th round of interviews are planned for some time in February.

This is why I never believe candidates will start until they show up on their first day. Too much can happen before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment