Total Pageviews

Friday, February 4, 2011

Favorite Work Phrase #7

"I don't know if you know this or not"- a phrase indicating the utterer's complete lack of interest in what is being said by the other party

Origin of Phrase
My coworker claims she has a sign on her head that says "Tell me everything", because people have a tendency to do just that about their lives to her. On this particular day, an applicant could see her sign all the way through the phones lines. After hearing what was apparently a large portion of his life story, she finally got in "Would you like to come in to test for this position?" His response "I don't know if you know this or not, but I live in (small town about 35 miles away)." She said she wanted to tell him "I don't know if you know this or not, but I don't care", except what she said contained much stronger language.

Now when someone is trying to tell us something we don't need/want to know, we say "I don't know if you know this or not". People "get" it, and often they laugh along with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment