Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Two Tales of Thankfulness

Thankfulness is something we should strive to practice yearlong, not just at Thanksgiving. We are better people we are grateful people.

I wanted to share two recent events with you that caused me to be thankful.

Event #1
Shortly before I went to Seattle last month, one of my coworkers (I still don't know the person's identity) placed a small picture on my desk. It's a silhouette of a women in a hammock on the beach. My love of the beach is well known,  and I said that's what made it so appropriate.  I was commenting on how great the ocean is was when one of our temporary associates said something like "I hope to find out someday." This person is an adult with kids in their late teens. I couldn't believe what I had heard. I had to clarify. I asked "You've never been to the beach?". She said "No." I was telling a coworker about this, and she mentioned that some people just don't like to travel. I stated that I was pretty sure that wasn't this reason, I was pretty sure it was financial.

Now, I had been kind of bummed about not finding cheap airfare that would allow me to go to the beach for the second time this year. I was pretty ashamed. Oh Lord, what an ungrateful wretch am I.

Event #2
We celebrated my sister's birthday two weeks ago by going out to dinner as a family, then going to her house later for cake. As I was driving to her house, I was struck by how blessed my family is. We were able to go out to dinner for her birthday. We're all employed and healthy. I was thankful.

There you have it, two tales of thankfulness. Obviously I'm much prouder to tell about the second one, but I was very thankful in each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment