Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The perfect way to end your vacation

Yesterday I experienced the perfect way to end a great vacation- a call offering me a job that features a substantial pay increase!

As many of you know, two months ago yesterday I started a new job. It offered a major salary increase above my previous job, my own private office, casual dress, and no more working with the public. I am very glad I took it. The improvement from my previous job was tremendous.

Four weeks ago I got a really strong feeling that I needed to update my resume to reflect my new position. I have learned to listen when I get ideas like that, even when I don't know why I get the feeling. So, I updated my resume. The next week, I found out why I needed to do that. I got a call from a job I had applied to in July, before I took my new job. When I spoke to the HR person, I broke a cardinal HR rule- I asked about the pay range straight off. Yes, normally you shouldn't do that, but I already have a job, and I was not going to waste my time interviewing for anything that wasn't an improvement. Let's just say that once she gave me the range, I was very interested. They were also willing to work with my schedule and interview me after work since I don't have any time off yet. I sent them my updated resume that night, I interviewed the next week, then I had a 2nd interview last week on the 1 afternoon I was in town between vacations (yes, I know I lead a hard life at times).

After reviewing the offer and some negotiations (that's what real HR types do), I accepted today, and my start date is Nov. 2. I broke another HR rule and gave notice to my current employer yesterday before I accepted the new one. I know it stinks for them to have to start searching again, but my boss took it really well.

So, do I regret taking the job I am leaving in 2 weeks? Absolutely not. It was definitely the right thing for me to do at the time. Would I have guessed I'd be there such a short time? No, but even though I am a plotter/planner at heart, I know life is not always what you expect it will be. Sometimes there are some very pleasant surprises that come your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment