Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Only Get One Chance to Make a First Impression

You've probably heard this phrase before. In fact, it used to be a tag line for an ad campaign, but I can't remember the product. This week we had a new employee make a first impression he probably wishes he could do over.

I've posted previously about our ongoing saga to hire an IT person. Well, we finally got the fish on the hook. He was scheduled to start Monday at 8. I get to work about 7:50, look to where the new person will be sitting, and I don't see him. However, it's still early, and besides, he could be elsewhere in the building. At 8 we have a company wide meeting to review the day's production schedule and go over any other announcements. Two supervisors introduced new employees in their departments who started Monday. I noticed that the IT Manager did not. At the conclusion of the meeting, someone asked him "Where's your new person?" His reply- "That's what I'd like to know". Uh oh.

A few minutes later I hear the IT Manager talking to my boss. My boss is trying to get him to stay calm and tells him not to panic. I said "Go ahead and panic. It's fun for us to watch." Yes, I sometimes have a tendency to stir the pot. Eventually we were able to make contact with the candidate who said he was stuck in traffic. He ended up being about 20 minutes late. First of all, there is always lots of congestion in the form of traffics/wrecks/etc. on the interstate that he takes.  That's NORMAL. Secondly, it didn't occur to him to CALL and say he's running late? I said to some people in my work area "You only get one chance to make a first impression." As one of the managers replied immediately "He certainly did that."

No comments:

Post a Comment