Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Open Letter To Political Candidates

Another primary election has come and gone. After doing my normal pre-election homework, I am still struck by how many people running for office don't get some basic concepts. If you are running for office or know someone who is, please pass these along.

1. You need to be accessible

I'm not a native where I live, so I don't know you. I need to have a way to contact you. Having your name listed in the phone book is a real start. Ladies- if the phone is listed only in your husband's name, that doesn't help me. Remember, I'm not from here and don't know his name.

A website is even better. It doesn't have to anything fancy. Just a no frills page with your phone number and why you are running is great. When I search for "Bob Smith, City Council, My Town", that's what I need to find. If tech isn't your area, have one of your supporters do this for you. If you don't have any supporters, you shouldn't be running.

2. You must return phone calls

I called both candidates for one of the local races. Neither called me back. REALLY? You are desperately trying to get elected, and you can't be bothered to return my call? Well, that does tell me all I really need to know about you. You'll be a lousy officeholder.

3. Have an elevator speech

Be prepared with a 30 second summary of who you are and why you are running. This isn't a speech accepting the Presidential nomination. Focus on being clear and concise.  If all you essentially tell me is why your opponent is horrible, that's not helping me. I had one candidate who went on for at least 20 minutes before I cut him off. Remember, short, sweet, to the point.

Following these rules will get you off to a good start, especially in a local race.

No comments:

Post a Comment