Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Favorite Work Phrase #11

I shared with you my team's motto (see Team Motto). This week another team shared with me their motto- "Order everything". Not surprisingly, this is from our purchasing team. Other areas are supposed to do a weekly inventory of a wide range of items used in those areas. Based on the results, items are ordered as needed. One of the purchasing people told me he has a horrible time getting people to do their inventory. Yes, this is crazy as these are the end users of the products, but I digress. He said his boss now tells him not to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, just order everything for which he didn't get inventory data. If there's too much and nowhere to put it, that's not their problem. It's the problem of the people who should have done their inventory properly.

I used this last week myself. There were two different lunches planned for last Monday. One group had given me an exact count, but I did not get a response for the other. (Ordering company lunches is yet another talent of mine). What did I do? I counted everyone who had the slightest possibility of attending, and ordered food based on that. Was their enough? Yep. Lots of extras- You bet. Griping about running out- Not a chance. I told the purchasing team that I'd put their advice into action. I think they liked that.

No comments:

Post a Comment