Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Only A Few Miracles

This week at work I used the phrase "a prophet is without honor is his hometown" to describe why my boss likes traveling. When he goes to other locations of our company, people are super nice, schmooze on him, etc. When he's not traveling, he gets to spend time with my coworker and I. We very vocally speak up about things, even when he doesn't want to hear them (we do get along well though).

As I talked about this, I also shared something that struck me when I read about it recently  Here's the entire passage for context:

Matthew 13:53-58

New International Version (NIV)

A Prophet Without Honor

53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”
58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.

What caught my attention was the last verse. I think the latter part of the sentence gets most of the emphasis when the story is discussed. I, however, was struck by the first part "did not do many (emphasis added) miracles". How amazing would it be to see ONE miracle? Jesus did so many that a few was barely worth mentioning. That is just mind blowing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment