Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Shakedown

Recently a group of our employees was presented the company's highest award for their work in planning our company's upcoming facility expansion. This award comes with a rather sizable check. After the ceremony, one of the winners corralled three of the other winners, two of whom are his direct reports. He noted that another key person on the team did not receive the award (she was the nominator). He told them "I'm going to give Jane X of my bonus (half the amount) and I want you to each give her some". One of them came to my coworker unofficially and said "What I am supposed to say? He's my boss". Another went, again unofficially, to my boss. Apparently when the asker approached another awardee, she actually started screaming at him in her displeasure . Eventually, someone who wasn't one of the award winners told the intended target of this beneficence what was going on. She said "I'll take care of it. I don't want their money". And trust me, she meant both statements.

I didn't find out about this until much after it happened. I thought ARE YOU SERIOUS? You have the gall to tell other people what to do with their own money? I was floored that he would even think to do this. This person is a senior member of management and should obviously know better. As my boss said "If you want to give part of your money that's fine". But if it's not your money, it's not your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment