Total Pageviews

Monday, March 18, 2013

Life lessons learned from little people

My niece has appeared in my blog previously. Today her brother, my nephew, makes his debut after I spent some time with the two of them yesterday.

My nephew is now 8.5 months old and is in the processing of getting even more teeth. Teething apparently can be not so fun, and chewing on his pacifier seems to really help him out when the teething makes him fussy. Thus, the process goes like this: Nephew gets fussy, someones finds his pacifier (aka "the plug"), puts it in his mouth, he's happier. However, what often happened next would perplex me. After a bit of using the plug, he'd either spit or pull it out. He would of course then get cranky soon thereafter. Not only would he remove the plug, he wouldn't put it back in himself, something he is well capable of doing. Instead, another person would have to do it. This cycle repeated itself many times. At one point I even asked him "Why do you take it out if you like it?" He of course didn't answer me. (Verbalizing isn't among his many skills at this time. I think he's scheduled that for next week.)

As I was thinking about this later, the answer came to me- he does it because he's human. After all, we adults do similar things all the time. An example: we all know we should get plenty of rest. When we get plenty of rest, we feel better. A no-brainer right? Yet how often do we do really well at this, then we fall off the wagon by staying up late to do something really important like watch a rerun of a movie we've already seen 5 times? And it seems like once we fall off the wagon, it's that much harder to get back on, even though we done it before and obviously have the power to do it again.

Humans are not always the most rational of creatures are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment