Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cooking & Baking; Art versus Science

It recently dawned on me that the difference between cooking and baking is really art versus science. I found it interesting to see Jen Lancaster essentially make the same point in her new book "The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All The Glitter Off of the Dog". With baking, as long as you combine the right ingredients in the right amounts and bake for the right amount of time, the odds are good that you'll have success. Cooking is much more about finesse and feel. The instructions are more like general guidelines, and you have to be more aware and willing to makes changes as the situation dictates. Given my personality, baking tends to be more my preference. A & B + C =D. I've heard Rachael Ray is not a fan of baking as she dislikes the regimentedness of it, preferring the creative approach to cooking instead. Each undertaking has its upsides, by which of course I mean yummy outputs. The journey to each is just a bit different.

Note for book lovers: The premise of "The Tao of Martha" is that the author spends her year trying to organize her life like Martha Stewart would. Hilarity ensues. I was literally laughing out loud as I read about the trip to the craft store to procure glitter. I'd highly recommend getting a copy from your local library to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment