Total Pageviews

Monday, January 20, 2014

Homemade Snack Bars

Sometimes you just need a small snack to tide you over until your next meal. I'm a big fan of snack bars as they are portable and shelf stable, but a lot of them are almost sickeningly sweet (and I like sweets). I ran across this recipe while reading magazines online at work (yes, I do that a lot). It looked promising as it seemed simple to prepare and used real ingredients, not weird lab chemicals. I whipped up a batch, and they were great! I made another batch this weekend. I added another tablespoon of butter as the first batch was a bit crumbly. I didn't use sunflower seeds in the last batch or this one, but I decided this time to add some ground flax instead for a heart health boost. Here's how it worked:



This recipe makes 24 nice size bars. You could cut them smaller to reduce the calories/serving if you like. Here are mine sliced:


For storage I put them in a gallon freezer bag and keep them in the freezer. That way they stay good for a very long time. 

I like this recipe as it is so customizable in terms of what ingredients you use, how easy it is to prepare, and the fact that it uses real whole ingredients. Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment