Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

This should not come as surprise

A customer came into our office seeking assistance accessing and editing his resume that is stored on our site. As I was helping him, I asked what he needed to change. He showed me. He said "Can you believe that one time I didn't get a job because I misspelled tablet?" (The resume read "table"). He seemed shocked by that. I told him I was not surprised at all. I shared that at my last job we marked resumes with typos and those were normally not considered at all. I showed him how to use the spell check function in the program and pointed out several typos that I noticed on his resume at a cursory glance. 

When I told my coworker this story later, she said what really is shocking is that the company actually told him that this is why he wasn't hired. She's right. Normally the resume would just be tossed aside and the candidate would have no idea why. If you or someone you know is job hunting, I cannot overemphasize how important it is to have an typo free resume. If you have typos it implies that 

A. You can't write
B. You don't care enough to proof read
C. You didn't take the time to proof read
or 
D. All of the above


I had a saying at my last job "It's always an interview". Every interaction you have with the company can make or break your chance of getting the job. Proceed with great care.

No comments:

Post a Comment