Total Pageviews

Friday, August 1, 2014

Lies people tell

I have come to the conclusion that lies are epidemic in our society. I also think that people don't understand that they aren't fooling people as much as they think they are. Two work examples from last week.

Example 1
My organization is having a steps challenge this month. They have a website where you can enter your steps each day. We got an e-mail stating that as many as 9 million steps had been recorded by one person. The e-mail went on to say that it would have required averaging 187 steps/hour for 24 hours/day to achieve this. Oopsie. The e-mail requested everyone to review their numbers and stated that anyone whose numbers that were not possible would be removed from the competition.

Example 2
My coworker was meeting with an unemployed customer who had been assigned to work with her in order to continue receiving unemployment. The customer told my coworker several lies during the short meeting, but the most whopping was this one. She said it cost her $25 in gas to get to the meeting. This person lives near where I live, or about 11 miles from the office. I immediately divided this dollar amount by the price of gas/gallon, then utilized this data to calculate what mpg she would have been getting had this been true. The answer? 1.8 miles per gallon. Um, no. She stated she was driving her husband's truck. I know that large pick ups are gas hogs, getting as little as 10-12 mpg. Even at that, it would have been 1 gallon to get to our office, or around $3.70. Math, my friend and the enemy of liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment