Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Life is about priorities

There was recently a large apartment fire in a nearby city that displaced people from 48 units. Thankfully no one was seriously injured. One of the things struck me after the fact was the lack of renters insurance among the tenants. Of the 48 apartments, 1 person had rental insurance. I was floored. Renters insurance is dirt cheap. Mine is less than $15/month. I asked a few people- how many of those renters had cable? Probably more than 1. If you can afford cable, a luxury (yes, it is), then you can afford renters insurance, a necessity.

I shouldn't be so surprised. I have to document customer budgets for some of our programs at work, and most renters don't have renter's insurance. I had one this week as a matter of fact. I told him in an unofficial capacity he needs to get it. My upstairs neighbors don't have it either that last time I checked. Again, they were counseled to obtain it posthaste. Even one of my siblings didn't have it when she first got her own place. However, one of her siblings ratted her out to my mom. Once Mom was on the case, rental insurance was promptly secured.

Life is about priorities. For most of us there will also be more wants than money. We need to cover our needs first though. Being burned out of your apartment would be horrible. It would add insult to injury to have no insurance to replace your belongings because you'd spent the money on "fun" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment