Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Paying Attention Pays

My trip to Kroger today gave me two illustrations of why it pays to pay attention.

#1
I saw that bell peppers were on sale for $1 each. This is a good price, but I know that Aldi normally has them 3 for $2, so I passed. At the back of the produce department was marked down produce bin. The price said $0.99. There were 3 peppers per bag. I asked an employee "This may be a stupid question, but is it really $0.99 for 3 peppers?" She said yes. Score! She said they've always had a marked down produce been, but it's been in an obscure area. They've now moved it into a more visible locale. The items may have come from a bag that broke or might be slightly bruised. I bought 2 bags. That's 6 peppers for the price of 2.

#2
I bought a box of candy that was signed $1. It rang up $1.19. I verified the signage, then took my receipt to customer service. The store policy is if it rings up higher than the actual price and the item is less than $5, you get it free. The clerk immediately gave me a cash refund, no hassle.

These aren't huge savings, but every little bit helps. It took only a small of effort on my part. Paying attention pays.

No comments:

Post a Comment