Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

River Glass

Monday I took a walk along the river near where I live. As I walked I thought "I wonder if there is any river glass here?" This is the same concept as sea glass and lake glass. The basic formula is

glass+rocks+waves+time= really smooth glass

Sure enough, one section of the bank was rocky, and here's what I found:


I was amazed. As you'll see, the predominant colors are white, green, and brown. Those are the most common colors of glass bottles made. Other colors are much more rare. I was tickled to find not one but two pieces of blue. I also found pieces of what was most likely pottery in green and white.

There is a lady I met in Maine who makes the most beautiful jewelry with sea glass. I hope to someday learn to transform what I've found into something similar. Until then, I'm enjoying the joy of the find.

No comments:

Post a Comment