Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Kindness of Others (or Not Everyone I Worked With Is An Evil Wretch)

If you been reading my blog very long, you've probably picked up that I'm an extremely disgruntled employee. Not any more! I start my new job on 9/30. My last day at the old place (aka jail) was Friday. How sweet freedom is.

In case you didn't know, your last two weeks of work are quite wonderful. The end is in sight, and since you're leaving, no one has any leverage left, a fact I almost had to remind someone of. You hold all the cards. Another fun thing is all the dirt you'll hear. I was in HR, so I was usually one of the last ones to find out the juicy stuff. However, once word spread that I was leaving the evil empire, lips loosened. For example, I learned Friday that one of our former employees was actively dealing drugs from his forklift and that he had a number of clients at work, some of whom where "people you'd never suspect". Unfortunately, he hasn't shared any names, but I'm hopeful that at some point he will.

The most striking thing to me was the pure kindness so many people expressed to me before I left. I got many calls, e-mails, and in person visits of people telling me how much they had enjoyed working with me, how helpful I'd been to them, and how much they'd missed me. The president of the company himself called me to thank me for my service and wish me well. People even brought me gifts, something I never expected. It started with a coworker who'd mentioned she was having lunch with her husband. When he picked her up she came in carrying flowers. Her husband has sent flowers many times. I asked "oh, did he get get you flowers?", but they were for me!


Gorgeous huh? Roses are my favorite flower, and purple is my favorite color. Her husband gets her these every year for their anniversary, and I'm always threatening to keep them for myself. I was floored. A member of Japanese senior management had given me some chopsticks and a Japanese towel for which I was very appreciative. When I got home later that evening I found out he had also given me a card with a very heartfelt message and a very large gift card. Color me flabbergasted. There were gifts waiting for me on my desk when I arrived Friday morning. Again, I was in overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness and kindness.

We do the right thing because it is the right thing, it's what we'd want done to us, and we want to hear "well done, good and faithful servant". If no one ever in this life ever recognizes it, that's fine. But it is so encouraging knowing that others have seen you do it, appreciate that you did and, and will miss you. It was clearly illustrated to me that not everyone I worked with was an evil wretch. There were definitely some who were, and I'm not sure how they look themselves in the mirror every day, let along what their plan is for judgment day. But there were many other who made me feel so appreciated. It was wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment