Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Your Work Matters

The sermon at church this weekend was on work. The speaker pointed out that what we do on our jobs has an impact on the lives of others. This was illustrated to me at my job this week.

Last Thursday a new customer came into our office. He had recently moved from out of state and was wanting to update his resume as part of his job search. In talking with him I found out he was a welder. This is an occupation in high demand in our area, so much so that we pay for people to become welders. I assured him there were lots of openings locally, and I gave him the contact information for a company that I know is often looking for welders. I also said that if he needed tools to start his job that our agency could help buy them.

The customer came into the office yesterday with good news. He has a job at the company I recommended with a nice hourly wage, and he's supposed to start tomorrow! He came back in today, and we did the paperwork to apply for funding for his tools. Our agency will be purchasing all the tools he needs, to the tune of around $600. There is no charge to him, and the tools are his to keep.

This is the first time at this job that I have directly helped someone get a job. It is a great feeling. I know the gentleman would have gotten a job on his own, but it was nice to help him get one so quickly and assist him with getting all the equipment he needed. Our jobs do indeed impact the lives of others. Whether that impact is positive or negative is up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment