Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

People different from us- part 1

Though "opposites attract" is an oft quoted phrase, it has been my observation that our circle of friends tends to look very much like us in terms of education, lifestyle, etc. That can lead us to think that the rest of the world is more like us than it actually is. It can be especially jarring when we encounter people whose lives are very different from ours.

Example #1- views on marriage

My neighbor told me Thursday that his fiancee's visa just got approved, and she'll be arriving in the U.S. on 3/11. The story behind this continues to blow my mind. He met a woman online who lives in the Philippines. He went to see her there for about a week late last year. And yes, they are getting married. According to the terms of her visa I believe they have 90 days to do so from the time she arrives here. As he told me "I'm getting older (he's about 10 years older than I am), I have some health problems (true), and I want someone to take care of  me". In return, the financee (she's much younger than he is) and her son get come live in the U.S. Wow. Just wow.

Yes, I know that throughout history marriage has often served as a business arrangement rather than a romantic match. I just can't fathom the risks they are both taking. She could rack up untold amounts of debt for which he'd be responsible or abandon him once she gets her green card. He could be an ax murder for all she knows. I know the fact that I am a young, healthy middle-class American definitely colors my view of this situation. Watching this experience unfold has definitely made me realize that my vision of marriage is not one that everyone shares.

No comments:

Post a Comment