Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A record

Every year I have a goal to not turn on my heat until November 1. This was something one of my sisters started, and I've chosen to emulate it. It melds very well with my innate cheapness. Some years I make it and eagerly crank up the heat on that day. Others it's simply too cold and I have to turn it on before then. This year was a record. I didn't turn the heat on until Friday, the 18th. We've had some cold snaps, but they've been brief and followed by wonderfully abnormally warm weather.

I technically didn't have heat until yesterday though. When I turned my heat on Friday night (it was 58 in my apartment), it made a buzz but never kicked on. I tried a couple of times, but no success. Now mind you, my landlord had asked me about a month ago to turn it on to make sure it was running ok. Did I do that? Of course not. And yes, a similar thing happened with my air conditioner several years ago. I cranked up my heated mattress pad (one of the best inventions EVER) and slept well. I called my landlord before I left yesterday and let him know about the problem. When I got home last night, it was working fine. I talked to him today, and he said the motor had seized. Later this afternoon I talked to my neighbor (the landlord's son), and he said his did the exact same thing.

I'm very pleased to have made it this far in the year without running the furnace. That's just more money for me to spend on something fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment