Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Truth Can Be Hard To Determine When Butt Covering Is On the Agenda

A couple Saturdays ago my company made the local evening news. As you may deduce from the title of this post, it was not for some warm, fuzzy reason. We had a tank of raw material overheat, leaking horrible smelling fumes into the air. The fire department was there, and eventually the HazMat team from the large city nearby. The public was in no danger, but one of our associates came in contact with toxic vapors and briefly lost consciousness. Thankfully he is fine with no ill effects.

When I came to work on Monday and heard about this, I thought to myself "the butt covering has already begun". Did I have any evidence of this? No, but I could just tell. This was later confirmed by things people told me or wouldn't tell me.

Today it was confirmed again. I heard a detail that I consider very important but that I have not seen in either of the "official" reports I read. I don't think necessarily that anyone did anything maliciously wrong. As I told someone, you never have a 20/20 view during the event. It's easy after the fact to question people's actions, but during a crisis you simply do the best you can. However, when things start not appearing in official reports or people are reluctant to talk, the truth can be sacrificed. This is very dangerous if you are truly trying to understand what happened and implement appropriate countermeasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment