Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Boundaries: They are good thing

I looked up boundary on dictionary.com. Here's what is says:

"something that indicates bounds or limits; a limiting or bounding line."

The key to me is limits. This applies to much of life. We as a society seem to have forgotten that limits have their place. No one needs (or frankly cares) to know every single little thing about you. There are also some large things that people really don't need to know either.

I was reminded of this at work on Friday. I was talking to one of his vendors. He stated that his wife is 27 weeks pregnant and in the hospital due to contractions (they had gotten them stopped). I asked if this had happened with her previous pregnancies, and he said no. And then the boundary was breached: "She had a LEEP procedure done because she had HPV, and they think that might have caused it."

If you aren't familiar with HPV, here's some info on it from the CDC. Yes, he just told me his wife had an STD. That's just something you shouldn't be telling people from whom it isn't need to know, and I certainly didn't need, much less want, to know that. Of course, the thought then follows: well, did she get it from him? I didn't know what a LEEP procedure was until about 5 minutes ago. Here's the data. Again, didn't need or want to know that. I will say though, that after reading it, I'm pretty sure one of my friend had this procedure done. And no, I don't know why, and I'm not asking.

Boundaries: They are a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment