Total Pageviews

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sowing and reaping is exponential

Perhaps you are familiar with the concept of sowing and reaping. Essentially, as you sow, so will you reap. It's often referred to in financial terms, but it also applies to things like kindness, friendship, etc. It also applies equally to negative things such as lies. One of the key things is to remember is that the process is not a one-to-one ratio.

I remember years ago my aunt illustrating this to a group of people. She had counted all the seeds from 1 watermelon (which obviously grew from a single seed). I wish I remembered the count, but suffice to say it was a lot. Far from a one-to-one ratio, it's not even multiplacative. It's exponential. Now, if it's been a while since math class or if math has never been your thing, let me use an example to show the difference.

Let's say someone offered you two choices, no strings attached. You could have $10 X 10 or $10 to the 10th power (sorry, I don't know how to input exponents in the text). Which would you choose? Free money is good, and so I'd want the bigger one. The first choice means you'd get $100. Not too shabby. However, the 2nd yields $10,000,000,000 ($10 billion). Yep, I want THAT one.

This is something we'd all do well to remember as we go about our lives. We would do much better to sow good things into the lives of others. It's both the right thing to do and in our own best interest as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment