Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tax Time Again

I filed my taxes tonight. This is late for me to do so. I normally try to get them done in late January/early February as soon as I get all my paperwork, but this year I just wasn't motivated.

I was very excited as my state has this year established partnerships with several companies that allow you to prepare and electronically file your federal and state returns for FREE. I've written before about the IRS's Free File program, and I've used it for several years. However, I'm too cheap to pay for state processing. My state had a web-based program that would let you do it for free. The only catch was that you had to reenter your W2 information. With the new partnership, it's all there. It is AWESOME.

I made it my goal to finish my taxes this week. I I decided to start working on them Sunday. Of course, getting started turned into having everything done. Let's face it, I'm getting money back, and once you get all the paperwork organized, it's pretty easy to plug everything in. The first part is always scary as the income information is entered first. With my particular circumstances, it means the program shows that I owe the IRS some scary number at the point. However, once I entered all my deductions I ended up getting roughly the same large number back. Actually, my goal isn't to get as much back as I'm getting, but that's how it worked out this year. My state is stingy with deductions, so anytime you don't have to pay you are happy.

Tonight I went back and reviewed all my data before I submitted it. I'm a double check kind of person. Good thing I did too. I'd left off two items that resulted in my getting back almost another $40. Definitely worth my time to verify everything. I should have my money from both in about a week. Electronic filing and direct deposit rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment