Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 15, 2012

You have not because you ask not

I've written before about our team's motto at work. Today was yet another example of how true it is.

Our local paper has recently had an extreme rate hike. My price went up 292%. Yes, you read that correctly. I decided that it's just not worth it. I called them today to cancel. There is a competing smaller paper that is cheaper for 6 day a week delivery than what I was paying just the Sunday edition of the larger paper.

When the person asked why I was canceling, I told her it was the price. She talked to me briefly, then put me on hold. She asked me if they reduced the rate by 1/3 for the next six months if I would keep my subscription. I said I would. I hung up happy.

Everyone won in this scenario. I got a reduced rate for 6 months. I'll call them again in 6 months to renegotiate. They kept an existing customer which is much cheaper than finding a new one.

The key: I was nice and went in with an open mind. I know that places will often give you a deal to keep you. If they hadn't, I'd have cancelled. Either way, I was saving money.

No comments:

Post a Comment