Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Proofing matters

Last week there was a want ad for a local company in the newspaper. I was reading it as the company is just down the street from mine, and the position is one we hire for from time to time. It was standard verbiage until the part where they preferred the candidate to have experience with an "anal boom lift". Yes, you read that correctly. I believe they meant an "aerial boom lift". I e-mailed the person who placed the ad to let her know, but I bet she'd already heard.

I truly believe that proofreading is a lost art. I am amazed how often I find typos. I found one last week in a best selling novel, and I saw one today on a website for a huge insurance provider. Spell check is a good first step, but it won't catch instances where a real word is used incorrectly for another one, as happened in the ad above. I've said before that one of my side businesses is going to be proofreading (another one is how to interview). It's a direly needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment