Total Pageviews

Monday, May 21, 2012

And you have HOW much of my money?

Two weeks ago my coworker, the benefits queen, was on vacation. In her absence, my boss forwarded me a voicemail he'd received from our 401(k) provider. One of our associates was in the process of rolling over her 401(k) from her last job into our plan. All that was needed was my boss's signature as plan administrator. I looked for the form in the two places I could think of, but I was unable to find it. I contacted the provider, and the person said she'd e-mail me the form. She did, but she sent me a BLANK FORM. Not so helpful.

I called back. After briefly searching, this person was able to find the completed form. She e-mailed me the page required, I had my boss sign it, then I sent it back to her. Not long after that, a third person from the company e-mailed and said all they had was page 1 and that we needed to fill out the rest of the form. Um, no. The page my boss signed was page 4, so obviously they had more than page 1. Person #2 had found the entire form and said we only needed page 4 signed. I told person #3 this.

Fast forward a few days. I get a voicemail from person #2 stating she'd never received the form. I e-mailed it to her AGAIN, and I left her a voicemail asking her to call and confirm that everything was fine. It's been over a week, and I've heard nothing.

This process has not left me with a warm fuzzy. This is one of the largest 401(k) plan providers in the country, and they are completely unorganized. They have over a decade's worth of 401(k) contributions I've made. This is no small sum. Whenever I leave this job, I am rolling it over into an IRA for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment